The chapel was named ‘Tega’ after the tailor Pietro Tega, who discovered the frescoes in 1921, until then hidden under a layer of plaster. Its original name, however, was the cappella di Sant’Anna, because it was the seat of the ‘Fraternità Disciplinata di Sant’Anna’. They administered one of the many hospitals that existed by tradition in Spello, dating back to 1362, although the order was suppressed in 1571. In 1895 the space was used as a workshop, but even then the frescoes, which were restored in 1970, were partially visible.
The chapel is composed of a single space with a rectangular plan, covered by a cross vault; on the left wall there is a large arch, currently partly underground due to the raising of the road surface on the adjacent square. Despite the chapel’s small size, your eyes will feast on the multitude of frescoes covering the walls and vaults.
These works, which are part of Italy’s rich artistic heritage, date back to 1461 and are attributable to Niccolò di Liberatore, known as the l’Alunno (the Pupil), and one perhaps to Pietro di Mazzaforte, son of Giovanni di Corraduccio from Foligno. The decorations were probably part of an important larger overall iconographic project; today we can admire the apostles and saints, Hell, Purgatory, and the Evangelists, portrayed in the four vaults.