The Duomo di Gubbio was built between the 13th and 14th centuries at the foot of Mount Igino, on the site of a previous Romanesque church, and dedicated to the Saints Mariano and Giacomo Martiri.
The building has a very elegant Gothic style. Access is through a large central portal with a pointed arch surmounted by a very large circular window, with an ornament floral frame and the symbols of the four evangelists and of the Lamb of God all around.
The inside of the church has a single nave and a ceiling with transverse pointed arches which were built following 20th-century restoration work. Along the side walls, there are small chapels, including the noteworthy Cappella del Santissimo Sacramento, built in the 16th century at the behest of Bishop Alessandro Sperelli, decorated with frescoes by the local painter Francesco Allegrini and the Nascita della Vergine (Birth of the Virgin) by Gherardi.
On the right wall there are still valuable traces of 14th-century frescoes and the Immacolata Concezione by Virgilio Nucci painted in the 16th century, while on the left wall there is an altar created with a recycled Roman sarcophagus depicting St Ubaldo.
The ornate presbyterial area is also worth a visit: on the choir there is an Episcopal Seat carved in the 16th century, while under the high altar a precious late ancient sarcophagus preserves the remains of the Cathedral’s two patron saints. Another Seat decorated with exquisite inlays by Benedetto Nucci stands on the left of the altar and finally, on the triumphal arch of the apse are beautiful murals painted by Augusto Stoppoloni (1916-18).