Self-guided trekking tour – The Way of Francis
This part of the Way of St Francis extends through the woods between Assisi and Gubbio, captivating environments gently caressed by time. Enjoy them to the full on our self-guided trekking tour!
Steeped in the aura of ancient times, the path reveals a series of exceptional sights. From Gubbio you will take the route that retraces the steps of one of St Francis’s most important pilgrimages. It is dappled with castles, churches and hermitages, and sees woodland alternating with open, panoramic views of the Apennines. After passing the Valfabbrica hills and the areas crossed by the river Chiascio, you will arrive at the stunning city of Assisi: the enormous mass of Monte Subasio will guide you on this extraordinary journey.
This self-guided trekking route is, on the whole, doable by anyone with an aptitude for trekking.
Day 1Stage 1
08:00 Tour pack collection and briefing
Prior to departure there will be a meeting with our staff at the starting point to collect your tour pack containing gadgets and gifts and for a quick briefing on how to use our tour assistance.
Departure will take place from the splendid city of Gubbio. First a short sightseeing tour, and then you will set off on your adventure. You will begin on a flat dirt track, just outside Gubbio, start to climb through the woods and then immediately plunge into the heart of the path. The first stage will end, always surrounded by nature, at a splendid farm stay, equipped with all the necessary mod cons, where you can have dinner and spend the night.
Length: 13 km; Uphill altitude difference: 320 m; Downhill altitude difference: 230 m
Second part of the hike
Day 2Stage 2
From Vallingegno to Valfabbrica
After a good hearty breakfast to stock up on energy, you will set off to tackle this stage, which is quite demanding. The vegetation will be dense but at times open up so you can admire the stunning valley views. After lunch – we recommend you bring a packed lunch – you will leave for Valfabbrica, where the farm stay awaits you with its comfortable rooms. Dinner will be at a restaurant in a pretty little village not far away: you will be taken there and then brought back to the farm.
Length: 25 km; Uphill altitude difference: 720 m; Downhill altitude difference: 1030 m
Day 3Stage 3
From Valfabbrica to Assisi
You will set off straight after breakfast. At this point, mount Subasio will be right in front. All you have to do is reach it, along paths that will take you up the last hill you will have to climb. After a first break with a packed lunch, the walk will resume, cresting the hill just behind Assisi, the city of St Francis. You will cross it until you reach the historic centre for a short tour. This will be the tour’s final arrival point.
Length: 14 km; Uphill altitude difference: 620 m; Downhill altitude difference: 550 m
- Starting point:
- Included services:
What the price includes:
- GPX tracking of the entire route;
- 2 nights at a farm stay
- 2 breakfasts at a farm stay
- 2 dinners at a farm stay
- You will have access to assistance throughout the tour, in case of emergencies or other requirements;
- Shuttle service to return to the starting point;
- Trekking pack with gadgets and various gifts;
What the price does NOT include:
- Transportation of any kind is NOT included, except what is expressly set out under the heading “What the price includes”;
- In general, everything that is not set out under the heading “What the price includes” is NOT included.
- ON REQUEST, a luggage transport service will be available to your overnight accommodation;
- To complete this tour, a basic aptitude for trekking and walking in general is required;
- Good physical fitness is required;
- This tour includes scheduled stops and destinations, but our guides are willing to meet your every need. We can be flexible with regard to timings, as long as they are compatible with the schedule created by the guide;
- There are approximately 6-7 hours of walking each day;
- This tour can be purchased by a minimum of 2 participants;
- Single occupancy of a double room is subject to a supplement of 60 euro.